[linux-dvb] Intermittent modprobe failure for tda1004x

Hi all,
I have an old Philips-based Hauppauge Nova-T, and for a long long while this has been as stable as I could have hoped for. Now about two weeks ago I bought the new Connexant-based card to try and see if I could get it working, managed, and then replaced my old Nova-T. Ever since, I experience tda1004x modprobe failures. An example dmesg:

DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T     PCI).
tda1004x: Detected Philips TDA10045H.
tda1004x: Detected Philips TD1316 tuner.
tda1004x_fwupload: firmware upload failed!

so I rmmod and modprobe, another failure, rmmod and modprobe, and it works!

tda1004x: Detected Philips TDA10045H.
tda1004x: Detected Philips TD1316 tuner.
tda1004x_fwupload: firmware upload failed!
tda1004x: Detected Philips TDA10045H.
tda1004x: Detected Philips TD1316 tuner.
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (Philips TDA10045H)...

So what could cause this? A badly seated PCI card? Some kind of very rare race condition? My kernel's a fairly standard 2.4.25, and had been working fine before I started testing the new model. Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Nick

--
Nick Ludlam - nick@recoil.org