[linux-dvb] Re: Strange buffer overruns...

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 07:05:27PM +0100, Torbjörn Jansson wrote:

> If you are using a 2.6 kernel you coud try changing the disk io sheduler
> from the default as (anticipatory) to cfq (complete fair queueing)
> You can do this by adding elevator=cfq to your kernel command line when
> booting.
>
> Maybe the default disk scheduler waits to write things to disk and when it
> does you get a delay that's too long and the dvb card overflows.
> The cfq scheduler is supposed to be usefull for multimedia applications that
> needs "even" disk access.
>
> Fedora fc2 and probably fc3 kernels use the cfq io scheduler by default.
> You shoud see something about what io scheduler being used when the kernel
> boots, maybe you have to check some file in /var/log or similar.

Thanks for the hint.  I plan to switch to 2.6.x in the near future, so
I will need this information.  For the meantime, the "commit=1" mount
option mentioned by Johannes does the trick.

I hope I'll find enough information to fully understand the problem before
I actually switch to 2.6.x ;-)

--
Please visit and sign and http://www.ffii.org
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --