[linux-dvb] uint32_t etc. in API headers: bad

Hi,

there is a thread on lkml where the bottom line is that:

- POSIX data types from stdint.h like uint32_t MUST NOT be used in API
  header files because they pollute the namespace in a way which is not
  allowed by POSIX and other standards
- uint32_t / stdint.h are useless inside the kernel
- we should use u32 in kernel source, and __u32 in API headers

http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/12/14/72

Maybe this issue is a bit academic, but what the heck ;-/

I think we should leave the V3 headers alone so not risk to to break
binary compatibility, but switch to use u32 etc. in future
driver implementations.

For the V4 API I guess we should get rid of stdint.h entirely.

Comments?

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index