[linux-dvb] Re: Missing frontend for Hauppauge NOVA-S (Philips SAA7146)

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 11:33, Oliver Baltz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would be very glad if someone could help me with the following problems:
>
> 1.) Although I have an Hauppauge NOVA-S-Card (Philips Semiconductors
> SAA7146 rev 01) inside, a "dmesg" says that a USB-card is found:

The Nova cards lack an mpeg decoder chip. So you cannot simply
watch TV with them. They only deliver the SAT DVB stream, and its
up to the application to make something useful out of it.

I have a VDR with a patched xine running here on my test system with a Nova-S
card and it works quite well. However, the "production" system with a Nexus-S
(plus a Nova-S) works better/easier with VDR, as the Nexus-S does all the
low level work and you can use any TV application to watch, also normal xine.

I think there also exists something for mplayer. But its not out of the box
as you might expect. For out of the box you need to buy a more expensive
card. You can use both cards together then with VDR, for example, if you are
interested in such a thing.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Home | Main Index | Thread Index