[linux-dvb] Re: A newbie and his avermedia

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 11:48:26AM +1100, Nigel Pearson wrote:
> >I'm trying to get my new avermedia dvb-t card working but even the
> >howto is
> >too difficult for me :-|
>
>       Hi Stefan.
>
>       First question is which Aver card is it?
> The old 761, or the newer 771.
>
>       If it is the 761, it should work with 2.6
> without having to compile any drivers, because
> they are already in the kernel. I have successfully
> used it with 2.6.3 thru 2.6.7
>
>       If it is the 771, you may need to do some
> more research (I don't have that card and I am
> not up to date as to whether the 2.6.9 drivers
> support it). Maybe look back through the archives
> for this mailing list, or do a web search for
> people trying to get it working with 2.6.9.
>
>       Note also that the drivers packages are very old.
> I don't thinkthey compiles against recent 2.6 kernels.
> For something as new as 2.6.9 you would probably need
> the CVS versions of the drivers.

Hi,

I forgot to mention it, it is the 771. I searched the web for someone who
got it working with a 2.6.x kernel and found a description of it based on
the standard kernel of a Suse 9.1 or 9.2 distribution. So I concluded that
it should be possible without the linuxtv drivers. Meanwhile, I downloaded
the 2.6.10 sources and due to the missing information, which items of the
menuconfig must be marked, I marked all of the sp887x section and some more
about dvb-t. I also copied the firmware file sc_main.mc into the hotplug
directory and started to make the kernel. I then used the linuxtv-dvb-apps
to scan and test and finally used mplayer to get a picture.

Of course, all this took a lot more time to find out than to write it. Maybe
it helps someone else.

My next problem will be to have the modules loaded automatically on demand.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Stefan

--
+++ Sparen Sie mit GMX DSL +++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
AKTION für Wechsler: DSL-Tarife ab 3,99 EUR/Monat + Startguthaben

Home | Main Index | Thread Index