[linux-dvd] Re: DVD Playback works fine except 2 things: DVD-R and PAL 60

Hello Nils,

Quoting Nils Heidorn (nils@nils-heidorn.com):

> Maybe you got a hint for me, 2 things are bugging me right now:

Please note that linux-dvd@linuxtv.org is mainly related to DVD products
developed by convergence (e.g. LSI PCMICA DVD driver or some stuff we did
not release yet).

Anyway, I'll try to help as good as I can.

> -1- I can playback DVD's just fine, PAL as well as NTSC, but my self-burned
> DVD-R's ( using a Pioneer DVR-A03 ) do not play, vdr complains about the ifo
> file not beeing found ?!

> When i mount a regular DVD and compare to my DVD-R, i can see that the
> directory & filenames on my DVD-R are all uppercase while many of the
> commercial DVD's have lowercase filenames, is that a track to the solution
> of the problem ???

In shouldn't make a difference at application level because the DVD Video
Standard allows both uppercase and lowercase names for directories and
files. But if the DVD part of VDR only looks for uppercase entries this
could be the problem (just an assumption).

I guess the real problem is that there are 2 different DVD File System
Specifications: for DVD-ROM and DVD-R (beside of the General/Authoring
Versions and the DVD-RAM & DVD-RW Versions). I suppose that the
specifications are different on some topics and that the Open Source Linux
solutions only "comply" to the DVD-ROM Version.

> the other Problem:

> -2- I can playback NTSC movies just fine on my regular TV Set, but when i
> use my other one, the image is Black and white, as this TV does not support
> NTSC.
> But from playing with a Hollywood+ Card i know that it supports PAL60, is
> the DVB-S able ( and how can i make it ) to play NTSC as PAL 60 ???
> That would be sleek :)

Maybe one of the driver developers can make a statement on this.

Bye... Szymon.
--
Szymon Polom, Project Manager Middleware       GPG Key-ID: E6EA36F2
convergence integrated media GmbH         http://www.convergence.de

Home | Main Index | Thread Index