[mpeg2] Re: Kfir Mpeg2 to SVCD

Hi Dan,

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Andrew Stevens wrote:
> > If you can put some snippets of KFIR output online I'll happily test
> > the filters on them - I intend to buy a KFIR board sometime soon
> > fairly soon.
>
> I've got some snips of KFIR output, they are the correct resolution
> (480x480) but alas NTSC, and 5mbps... I suspect you want PAL and
> 2600kbps...

Neither matters! The whole point is to test transcoding and NTSC/PAL
isn't an issue.  Mind you if you're transcoding it probably makes more
sense to grab at fairly high resolution 720x<y> and then transcode
down.  I presume this is 480 across the whole image not just sampling
480 from the middle?

Aside: how good is the MPEG the KFIR generates?  In principle, with
fast enough hardware, you could do a stupendously good job of motion
compensation etc.  They claim scene change and flash/fade detection
which is pretty cool.  What about motion compensation: is it purely
luminance based or is chrominance taken into acount as well?   In
theory, with fast enough hardware, they might even be able to do
super snazzy things like choosing motion vectors based on the MDCT
coefficient sizes for possible matches rather than using variance or
sum-absolute-difference as approximate indicators.

Andrew

Home | Main Index | Thread Index