[mpeg2] Re: got kfir going!

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 04:43:19PM -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > I developed the driver on an ASUS P2B-LS with Celeron 150@450 and an ABIT
> > KT7-100 with Duron 600. It works with both of them now without
> > crashing either at first insmod or after reloading with loaded=1.
> > But as was reported by Kees it seems to depend on what other drivers
> > might already be loaded and I will test if the same happens on my boards.
> > I don't understand how this happens. Maybe the other drivers change
> > something in the PCI config.
>
> Remember that most motherboards have USB controller integrated into the
> southbridge! This could definitely change the behaviour of the PCI bus.
> Who knows what evil things the linux usb driver might be doing also... ;)
>
> Maybe it's worth checking lspci output before and after loading USB module
> to see if any pci config was changed?

I checked the lspci -vv info, and it's the same before and after the USB
load.  When I load the kfir board, it changes one of it's capability
lines from:

Capabilities: [48] #00 [0080]

to:

Capabilities: [48] #00 [0048]

Also, as you mentioned, my USB chips are part of my ISA bridge:

00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel   ......               IDE
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel ....                  USB
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel ....                          ACPI

--
Kees Cook					@outflux.net

Home | Main Index | Thread Index