[mpeg2] Re: MPEG encoder code (was: Kfir Mpeg2 to SVCD)

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Andrew Stevens wrote:
> Currently I'm trying to "properly finish off" the mjpegtools encoder by
> completing the MC tuning for field sequences (field encoding for progressive
> sequences is already done) and adding in stuff for variable GOP and
> multi-threading.

Adaptive GOP? :-)

I tried to use mpeg2 encoder from mjpegtools and didn't get far. All my
captures are done in virtualdub in windoze (because it has very good
filter plugins), and everything is done in huffyuv codec[1]. Unfortunately
mjpegtools doesn't support huffyuv even though it's an open source codec.
I also tried uncompressed AVI, which mjpegtools couldn't handle. Then I
tried picvideo[2] mjpeg and mjpegtools couldn't handle that either.

There also seems to be no way to feed multiple AVI to encoder (eg multiple
split avi on 2gb boundary generated by virtualdub capture).

So I'm stuck without a working mpeg2 encoder on linux at the moment :-(

Back to windoze... :-P

-Dan

[1] http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/huffyuv.html
[2] http://www.jpg.com/video/mjpeg.htm