[mpeg2] progress

 I made some progress with the kfir board.

 I picked up a refurbed HP Vectra 166Mhz to test the card on.  I
 figured this would be a different processor and an Intel PCI bridge.

 Since I'm network booting both the Athlon box and this one, it was
 pretty quick to get it setup.  I recompiled the kernel and the kfir
 driver and it loaded with only debug=1 with no trouble.

 Trying to rmmod the kfir driver caused the box to hang.

 I rebooted and loaded with the following options:

 insmod ./kfir.o vidinmode=1 vidoutmode=0 sndfreq=6 vidinput=1 debug=1
 vidsize=38, which unless I have calculated wrong with 720x480 NTSC.

 I ran cat /dev/video for about 20 to 30 seconds and it produced a
 non blank file that file said was an MPG stream. good so far.

 I had some difficulty finding an MPEG2 program that would actually
 play it though.  Xmovie and Broadcast 2000, either crashed or did
 nothing with the stream.

 However, both mpeg2dec and xine played the file with the same
 behavoir, a nice, clear picture on the left half of the screen, and
 distortion in the form of lines on the right hand side.

  -----------------
  |        | vert  |
  |        |       |     the distortion is vertical lines on the top part
  |        --------
  |clear   | horz  |     and horizontal lines on the bottom part.

 Also, the video is in black and white while it was encoded with a
 color picture.

 The sound, OTOH, seems to be perfectly synched.

 Any ideas what causes the color and distortion problems?

--
Paul Holcomb                               *pholcomb    \@      cpoint  net*
Sr. Network Engineer                       Counterpoint Networking, Inc.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index