[mpeg2] Re: Hard lockups when loading the kfir module

Andreas Trottmann writes:
 > On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:07:43AM +0200, ftc wrote:
 >
 > > Now, we have other problems: Any "streamtype" except 7 (VT_KFIR_SYSTEM)
 > > does not seem to produce any output (i.e. "cat /dev/video > test.mpg"
 > > produces a file that stays at size 0). "streamtype=7" produces something,
 > > but we didn't have success playing it with any MPEG player we tried.
 >
 > Confirmed, even with a higher quality input. It does not seem to matter
 > whether we use composite or s-video input, but
 >
 > streamtype=1 up to streamtype=6 followed by "cat /dev/video > out.mpeg"
 > gives a 0 byte out.mpeg file, no matter how long we try... and
 > streamtype=7 gives something that mpeg players (mplayer, windows media
 > player, realplayer with the emc plugin, some windows dvd player) can't play.
 >
 > If anyone is interested (or wants to help debug), such a file is
 > available at http://guardian.aart.ch/public/out1.mpg

This looks like a system stream with audio only. No video is present.
Playing it back I get about 30 seconds of perfectly encoded "quiet".

 > Are there any sets of module parameters that are known to work?

The default parameters work fine with a signal at the composite input.

Please reboot your PC, load the driver without extra parameters and
try this again.
Some parameter combinations can confuse the Kfir/Altera so much
that it also will not work correctly after selecting a valid
configuration. Only a reloading of the Altera can fix this,
which means reloading the driver without the "loaded=1".
This can cause a lockup (still does sometimes on my setup), so I
rather recommend a shutdown and reboot.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index