[mpeg2] Best Mpeg2 card for TiVo style recording and playback.

Andy Gale writes:
 > I have a few questions. This seems to be the place to ask them
 >
 > I'm trying to find a Mpeg2 card which can encode an incoming RGB or composite signal and simultaneously decode and playback a previously encoded program. From the information I've been given the Linux TV card doesn't do hardware decoding. Would I need to use a software decoder ?

Yes, or an additional hardware decoder card.

I don't think there is a card with MPEG2 encoding and decoding with Linux
support yet.

 > Are there any TV tuner cards which work under Linux ?

Drivers for cards based on Bt848/878 are at
http://www.metzlerbros.de/bttv.html, newer versions are at
http://bytesex.org/bttv/ or in every standard Linux kernel source.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index