From: mpeg2-bounce@linuxtv.org [mailto:mpeg2-bounce@linuxtv.org]On
Behalf Of Rob Morris
Sent: Freitag, 06. Juli 2001 18:19
To: mpeg2@linuxtv.org
Subject: [mpeg2] Re: still picture grabbing

One approach would be to get the mpeg2dec package from linuxvideo.org It
will decode an mpeg 2 stream into frames, which can be stored to disk. I
think these frames are in YV12 format which can be directly displayed with
Xv on some graphics cards (Radeon for ex.)

mpeg2dec could probably be easily modified to capture only I frames to cut
down the disk-space requirements. It may then be as simple as

mpeg2dec  -o pgm /dev/video

If you don't need to capture frames live, maybe cat the /dev/video to a file
first as in:

cat /dev/video > capturefile

mpeg2dec -o pgm capturefile

Let us know your results.