[mpeg2] Re: Driver project: a new 4-channel MPEG decoder card

Bram Stolk writes:
 > Allan Jacobsen wrote:
 > >
 > > Warren Young wrote:
 > > >
 > > > The _driver_ is open source.  Only the user-mode library necessary to
 > > > completely talk to the driver is closed.
 > >
 > > OK, you are right, but the driver without the library is completely
 > > useless.
 > > It does not contain anything about: bitrate, resolution, Mpeg1/2 data,
 > > program stream/transport stream, audio ac3/mpeg 2, audio bitrate,
 > > audio sampling freq. etc.....
 >
 > Any progress made on this old item yet?
 >
 > anyway:
 >
 > Nearly all communications with the user lib should result
 > in driver ioctl calls. If you have the src of the kernel module,
 > it is very easy to log the calls, and create a mapping between
 > userlib calls and ioctl calls.
 >
 >    Bram

This old mail you mention refers to the Netstream 2000 with
the EM8400 from SigmaDesigns.
We have our own driver for this card which supports our DVB API.
It offers a software demux for playback of transport streams and
also handles program streams. But the drivers are closed source
(due to NDAs) and not made public yet. So, we cannot really comment
on or get involved in any reverse engineering efforts. But if anybody
needs a custom solution for a set-top-box with EM8400 feel free to ask :-)

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index