[mpeg2] Re: KFir MPEG2 Capture Board - Linux Users Experience

If you have an auto-tuning satellite, you may get very good results
with the bmk board.  Satellites usually have good quality video,
clean signal.

> 1. How long does the de-interlacing take for say, 1 hour of NTSC full
> frame (~640x480 or something of that nature) at about 5 Mbit/sec
> bitrate? I have a feeling that this post processing may be just as bad
> as MJPEG conversion - 4+ hrs for 1 hour video (at 320x240)...And, on a
> similiar note, do you know where I can find a clip of video captured
> with a Kfir card so I can see how the interlacing looks?

I usually encode to dix simultaneously.  On 1Ghz p3 I get around 14fps.
(about two hours encoding per one hour video).

I have never tried to deinterlace and write mpeg2.  I would assume it
should be faster.  Maybe even real-time.  I think it's possibel to do
real-time deinterlace from a raw frame v4l device on 500Mhz.  Don't know
for sure.  Resolution is full-NTSC 60fps, I think around 700x400
(It's been awhile since I actually used the board).

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/VCR-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.5

> 3. Do you know if the Kfir2 chip like whats going to be on the Hauppauge
> Card does deinterlacing?

I have no idea.  I would imagine yes, but who knows how to enable the
functionality.  Even the kfir board we have has tons of features that
have hard-coded defaults.  It make is nice and easy to use, but perhaps
it would be nice to enable more control.

I took a look at the visiontech (kfir manufacturer) website, and they
have been bought by motorola, so it is doubtful we will ever see an
encoder like the bmk board again.  The original board was pretty much
a clone of the visiontech reference model but (re)producted by a german
company (BMK Elektronik).

I'm hoping Hauppuage goes open-source for the drivers, it would make
life real nice and easy.

Torsten

> [...]
> >
> > Other Future, Better OPtions
> > -------------------------------
> > Even better, there is a new kfir chip, kfir2.  It is on the new Hauppuage
> > PVR's, and Hauppauge (A German Company - the Germans traditionally are more
> > in support of Linux) is considering open-sourcing some drivers.  This would
> > be outstanding, and definitely worth waiting for.
> >
> > Go to http://www.hauppauge.com and email their sales team, tell them you
> > are looking for a linux-based PVR and want some drivers.  All the PVR newsgroups
> > are pushing for this.
> >
> > Another Option
> > --------------
> > If you have an adequate processor, say 1Ghz or greater, than you may want
> > to wait.  A regular TV card (Hauppuage, ATI, any bt8x8) you can record
> > and compress in real time, and there are several utilites (and GUI's) that
> > work with these cards.  With 1Ghz, you should be able to watch the video
> > and encode simultaneously.  This isn't supported as far as I know, but there
> > is development going on to create software that can accomplish this.
> > Especially it is in the plans for freevo
> > http://freevo.sourceforge.net
> >
> > Old Hauppuage PVR Development
> > -----------------------------
> > Finally, there is some development work for drivers for the old Hauppauge
> > PVR  http://pvr.sourceforge.net/ but it developement is VERY slow, and I don't
> > have faith he's making good progress.  He has the video, sound, working, and
> > it seems the microcode loads, but he is unable to record.
> >
> > In Conclusion
> > -------------
> > I would wait to see if the Hauppauge people release some open-source PVR
> > drivers, or even just some PVR drivers.  I wouldn't buy their PVR card if
> > the Linux binaries are closed-source, but I would definitely swap my
> > current setup if they are open-source.
> >
> > If you want to get started right away, and have a good-enough processor, I
> > would recommend skipping the bmk mpeg2 card, and going with a cheap Hauppauge
> > TV-card (or some other TV card).  It is much easier to setup, and you can
> > record television just as well.
> >
> > If you have patience, wait for the Hauppauge to release some open-source
> > drivers for Linux for their PVR cards, or for development to continue at
> > pvr.sf.net.
> >
> > Finally, if you can deal with some hassles of setup, or decide you just
> > want to encode movies from a VCR, the kfir card will do.  The kfir card
> > should do a better job with high-quality VHS movies, in encoding, than
> > a bt8x8 chip (i.e. Hauppuage) chip.  The mpeg2 will require post-processing,
> > though, to deinterlace, and perhaps recompress.
> >
> > Cool Case
> > I haven't heard of anyone doing anything with this case, but I want to.
> > Have a look at this case, I think it is the perfect PVR case.  It takes
> > an ATX motherboard, PSU.  If anyone has any experience with this case,

Home | Main Index | Thread Index