[vdr] Re: Channelslist

Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  06.10.01 11:26

Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...

>I prefer having a complete channel definition in channels.conf, and
>not rely on being able to determine the PIDs at runtime. VDR is a
>*video recorder*, so you have to know *exactly* which channel (with
>which PIDs) you are going to record.

That's the way i understood the sense of the PID in the
channellist.

On the other hand:
I want to record Startek on Sat.1, and Sat.1 is now
on an other PIDs, VDR should of cause not record the crap
that's now transmitter on the "old" PID.
But OK: How should/can VDR find the new PID of Sat.1?

Is there no unique "programm number"?

>That also applies to NVOD channels: you need to know the
>exact PNR (or "ServiceID") on which that programme runs at the
>time you want to record it. This often
>referred to "NVOD-linkage" won't help you here.
>>>I believe it would be nice if VDR did the same.
>>>That would save us the unneccessary hazzle of finding and
>>>configuring these somewhat redundant numbers all the time.

>I'm not sure if this is widely known, but the driver currently
>requires the PIDs to be given, and from them determines the PNR. I
>don't know why this is so, but that's the way it is. So in order to
>tune a channel VDR *has* to give the driver the PIDs.

A chicken egg problem? :-)

>I'm not saying that VDR will *never* automatically detect these data,
>but just at the moment I don't see the big necessity for such a
>feature.

I think a feature/application to automatically adjust timer.conf
when a new channel list would change channel.conf would be
more sufficient/usefull/universal(own naming of channels).

So the channel list can easily be edited with vi and keyboard.
(OSD is nice, but only to move one channel, else it becomes a live time
job to edit 600 entries with the RC ;-))

Home | Main Index | Thread Index