[vdr] AW: A basic statement about VDR (was: AW: Re: MPlayer <-> VDR, first try)

Your statement makes perfect sense to me, thats exaktly what i think. Of
course you, as a private person, cant implement every feature somebody wants
in a non-provit project.

Thats why i thought of making a common api in your software. So you could
leave that fancy  and (to you more or less useless) features to someone
else.

Right now, everyone who wants to add something to your software just hacks
it somewhere in your source. So, new version -> nothing works anymore, and
different patches dont (always) work together.

But if you once make a "official" hook in your software, so one can add
something in a predifined way, everyone could write different "plug-ins" to
your software, and you would not have to care about poeple whining why their
feuture does not get implementet. They would just have to install the
plugin-module, and perhaps add a line in a config-file, which library to
load. And for each library, a special entry in the on-screen menu could
appear or something like this.

Then, there would be a mplayer plugin, a mp3 plugin, a divx-encode plugin, a
switch-on-your-toaster plugin or whatever. Ok, a "different-skins" plugin
would perhaps not work, because it would have to touch core components, but
you cant have everything ;-)

In the end this would save your time !
If yoy think this is nonsense, bad luck :-|