[vdr] OT: 149 GB Maxtor disks.

I am sure many of you have heard about Maxtor's new 149 GB
hard disks:

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2001sep/gee20010912007831.htm
http://www.digitalproducer.com/2001/09_sep/news/09_10/maxtor_160gig.htm
http://www.beststuff.com/article.php3?story_id=2126
http://www.storagereview.com/PressReleases/Maxtor_D540_D740.html
http://www.golem.de/0109/15808.html

Two questions:

1) As this disk exceeds the 128 GB protocol limit, it will not
   be plug-and-play with existing controllers/BIOSes.
   Fortunately, this problem is addressed by the fact that Maxtor
   bundles a controller card with it.
   Will Linux 2.4.10 drivers work flawlessly with it?

2) Do you know anyone who actually has them in stock?
   I checked with vobis and with vv-computer (the latter
   actually listing it in its web shop). Both replied that
   they do not have it in stock yet and cannot tell me when
   they will.

Sorry for being slightly off-topic - this would be a great disk
for my VDR PC! Low noise (5400 rpm), high capacity, good performance.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index