[vdr] Re: OT: 149 GB Maxtor disks.

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 12:56:14PM +0200, Emil Naepflein wrote:

> On standard IDE I have 3 older Maxtor 82 GB models and a DVD-ROM drive,
> at the Promise I have 1 old 82 GB and 3 new 80 GB disks. I wanted to run
> everything as Raid-5, but this was to unstable with the 2.4.0 kernel. So
> I have Raid-0 now with 2.4.4 and ReiserFS.

You have good nerves. I have had enough trouble with hard disks already.
I wouldn't bet the data on 7 disks on one disk failure. BTW, a Raid-5
would not make a big difference as a disk failure frequently takes the
whole IDE channel down. And when two drives are gone Raid-5 is dead as
well.

Maybe you could install two Raid-5 devices with just one drive at one
channel. E.g. all masters form a Raid-5 and all slaves form the other
one. So when one channel goes down two Raid-5 would be running
unsyncronized, but the data was fine. Of course for this you would have
to sacrifice another disk for parity, so you would have "just"
(3 * 80 GB) + (2 * 80 GB) = 400 GB left.

On the two Raid-5 devices you could run LVM to hide the physical
seperation.

cu,
Lars

--
Next Friday will not be your lucky day.  As a matter of fact, you don't
have a lucky day this year.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index