[vdr] Re: OT: 149 GB Maxtor disks.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 04:49:00PM +0200, Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> And: i saw one "professional" (=expensive) PC which kills his
> -entire- electronics by overvoltage on +5V by a broken main supply
> mainboard, cpu, and discs: all dead...only the fans survived...
> Nice to have a tape in a save loaction...

To prevent such overvoltage crashs, I had a idea to put 2 strong zenerdiodes
at one of the free power connectors (Zener6.8V between 5V and ground, and
zener16V at 12V). In case of error the zeners and the powersupply will maybe
burn, but the data will survive ;-) It was just a idea, not realized yet but
I had this case of overvoltage in the past already - I had luck -
nothing was destroyed, but I am sure the next case will kill my data :-(

        Matthias

Home | Main Index | Thread Index