[vdr] Re: keys: Very slow response to "recording"

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> What the heaven(hell?) is VDR doing during this 15 seconds?

It is executing the shell command defined at recording.c line 34.

This has been discussed here before.
You can run than same command outside vdr and time it, e.g.:
     time find /video -follow -type d -name '*.rec'

Then tune your system so this command runs faster.
Maybe you have other stuff under your /video path.
That would slow things down.

> On the second attempt this seems to go
> a little faster, only 7 seconds between "recording" "OK"
> and display.

Linux has cached the directory entries.
I'm surprised it still takes 7 seconds.
Maybe you do not have enough memory.
If I remember it correctly, it takes abut 2 seconds here.

> It would generally help a lot, if VDR would first turn on
> a "point" or "carret" on in the OSD before it starts to process
> any command.

Total agreement. That would be very nice.

Also, I believe that Klaus has plans to internally buffer the
names of the recordings. I am not sure if that idea is bullet-proof,
as of course you could remove, rename, copy, add, etc. recordings
outside vdr.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index