[vdr] Re: power saving mode of DVB-S cards (was: Re: Re: default setting of non used cards

Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  28.10.01 21:23
>
> Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >Tell me how to "power down" the cards when they are not recording
> >and I can implement that into VDR.
>
> I don't know, maybe the VDR-driver developers have an idea?

I assume you mean the DVB driver developers.

> (X-post to the VDR list required?)

This _is_ the VDR list...

> I see that, after starting vdr, the power consumpton of the box
> increases. I assume that's because the card's were loaded.
>
> >However, you won't have the EPG scan then, either.
>
> Yes.
> I already had to turn that off because of having only
> a coax splitter, resp. only one coax cable :-(
> I don't know what i miss.
> When i need more info, it is there. Works great!
>
> Is it required to scan always and on all upto 3 cards?
> Are EPG-infos changing so fast?
> Is it required to sample them if no user is there?
> (I don't know where EPG can be used too)

The EPG scanner is only necessary if you want to access the full
set of data from all channels, without first having to manually
switch through all of them. You can, of course, live happily
without it.

Klaus