[vdr] Re: SV: Re: Timeshift HOWTO?

On Wednesday, November 21, 2001 6:26 PM, Henrik Rasmussen
[SMTP:linuxtv@drv-elektronik.dk] wrote:

> > > Is there no possibility to use a software MPEG-2 decoder and let the
CPU
> > > do
> > > the  work instead of installing a second DVB-card?
> >
> > Nothing is impossible - but then you have to use a VGA-CARd with
> > TV out and have to rewrite VDR
> > to display the OSD over the VGA-CARD !
>
> Why would this be nescessary ?
> If you use a display device that can accept VGA input (Plasma display or
> Video projector f.x.) the software MPEG-2 player would take over playback
> completely and let VDR do the recording. When you want to view live TV, it
> could be done via xawtv.
>
> The only problem is the amount of work involved in using such a system and
> the lack of good software players for linux.

I think the changes are not so big. I think the follwong solution would be
fairly easy.

1. Enable vdr to stream the programm to an FIFO file. This should be easy to
do as it is just a variation of the already available transfer function.
2. Change the OSD so that it streams the OSD an Subtitles. This is also not
very difficult.
3. Use xine for displaying the mpeg stream. Xine is currently extentend to
support OSD commands.
4. Write a inputplugin for xine that can pause the stream comming from vdr
(save it temporarly in the harddisk) and you have also the timeshift.

I plan to do all this, but it needs some time. Currently it is already
possible to use xine together with dvbstream. My next step is to implement
the streaming into a FIFO file into vdr. I hope to provide a patch for vdr
when it is ready.

mfg
Joachim

Home | Main Index | Thread Index