[vdr] Re: System requirement?

Gregoire Favre wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have now a PIII@450, and I am quiete sure it's not sufficient to make
> direct enconding of mpeg2 to divx, with keeping a quality quiete as good
> as DVD...

You are quite ambitious ! You want to make this encoding in real time...
Well, sorry to tell you, but keep dreaming...

On A P3/933 with the windows DivX4, encoding of an AVI file 480x360x25
goes at 14fps at most.
I have an ATI All In Wander and I can record directly into DivX at
320x240 (bus doesn't support more) and could do so on my older P2/350.

An software decoding of MPEG2 is still so slooow.

> What do I need? Dual PIII@1000, single K7@? or single PIV or ???
I'm not sure if a P4/2000 would be enough.
Maybe a multi processor system with specially written multithreaded
MPEG2 decoder and DivX  compressor that can take full advantage of the
SMP machine...

--
ing. Andrei Boros
mailto:andrei@srr.ro / +40-1-303-1865