[vdr] Re: is it possible to recreate the index

Karlheinz Pischke wrote:

> is it possible to recreate the index for *.vdr files ?

Yes, there are ways, but none of them is 100% perfect yet.

There is a program called genindex (search the list
archives and you will find various versions).
IIRC one version of genindex works perfectly with original
vdr recordings, so it can restore a lost index.vdr file.
Another version works with MPEG1 files (i.e. from/for VCDs),
unless they have been remultiplexed.
I have not found one that works with my remultiplexed
MPEG1 files. Can anyone help?

AFAIK, there is no single genindex version that supports
as many flavors of MPEG formats as the DVB driver itself.
Also, I am not sure if VDR supports as many flavors of MPEG
formats as the DVB itself.  The driver is very flexible while
I believe that VDR more or less only accepts the format it creates.

Some time ago, Klaus mentioned that he might put code
into VDR that recreates an index.vdr file if none is there.
Klaus, are you still planning to do that?

> Have mpegs from TV4ME. Renaming them to 001.vdr ... helps to
> see them in the OSD menu for recordings and
> to play them
> but I can not edit (cut out advertisements) the videos.

If you can play the file now with VDR, you are in good shape.
One of the genindex versions should work for you.
Genereate the index file and press OK in VDR during playback.
If VDR displays the correct length of your recording, the index
file is liekely to be OK.

> Very probably I can edit the videos when the index file is in place.

Yes.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index