[vdr] Re: problem with samba share.cannot see the *.vdr files

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Gunnar Roth wrote:

GR> > Windows has problems with some of the characters used by vdr in
GR> > directory names ( was it ":"?)
GR> >
GR> > Michael
GR>
GR> Hmmm i just tried what you said. i couldnt see any strange characters, but
GR> in fact renaming the *.rec dir to a simple string did actually help. if i
GR> make a ls i see "2001-12-24.00:23.50.50.rec" whi ch doenst seem to contain
GR> special character,

the special char is ":" (as Michael said above), which is used for drive
identification under windows.

GR> but when i make a "ls" and then press tab i get
GR> "2001-12-24.00\:23.50.50.rec/".

in the most of cases characters have to be escaped such that ls takes it
as one string (in case of a space it is different if you say `ls my file'
or if you do `ls "my file"', wich is the same like `ls my\ file')
in other cases it is to prevent the shell to use some chars by their
special meaning. E.g. you can have a file named "my|file" if you do
`ls my|file', the shell would try to list the file "my" and pipe the
output to the command file. if you do a `ls my\|file', you will see the
listing with the one file you have.

GR> the \ seems to be the problem.

definitely not.

GR> so i will trust you and try the VFAT option.

it should help, as with this option vdr uses an other character (was it
"-" or "."?) instead of a ":".

GR> but i am curios why the dir naming is done in such incompatible
GR> way. cant see an obvious reason for this.

I also wondered about that once. AFAIK it  is the only one difference
between vdr with and without the VFAT option.
But it wasn't that important for me, so I didn't ask.

c ya
        Sergei

         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de
                -- Mark Twain