[vdr] Re: problem with epg after uptime of 3 days

Gunnar Roth wrote:

> > To achieve the same effect, I call vdr with "-s
> /path-to-script-dir/killvdr".
> > killvdr is a tiny shell script that looks like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > fuser -k -TERM /dev/ost/* > /dev/null
> > sleep 3
> > fuser -k -KILL /dev/ost/* > /dev/null
>
> Hmm nice i just dont understand the meaning of the -s option.
> is documented as the command to execute on shutdown. could to please explain
> the working.

>From the MANUAL:
  MinEventTimeout=30     If the command line option '-s' has been set, VDR will
  MinUserInactivity=120  automatically shutdown the computer if the next timer
                         event is at least MinEventTimeout minutes in the future,
                         and the user has been inactive for at least
                         MinUserInactivity minutes. Setting MinUserInactivity
                         to 0 disables the automatic shutdown, while still
                         retaining the possibility to manually shutdown the
                         computer.

Actually, vdr will not really "shutdown the computer", it
will just call the command specified via -s, ASSUMING
that this will shut down the computer.
As you see, my script does not really shut down the computer,
but only restarts vdr by killing vdr (hence the name "killvdr")
and anything else that accesses any of the DVB devices.

> i know fuser -k kills the process which accesses the file on the argument
> line. but how does this help the problem?

It is important to kill all processes that access any of the DVB devices,
so we will be able to reload the driver, which is the main point of the
whole exercise. There have been reports in the past, that

*  OSD colors change randomly

*  EPG stops functioning

*  Channel switching stops functioning

*  CAM stops functioning

*  ARM firmware starts crashing

after vdr has been running without a reload for a long time.

> > I also use the periodic restarts to automatically transfer my
> > web EPG programming from http://tvtv.de and to adjust the system
> > time during the short moments when vdr is not running.
> > For that, I am using my own runvdr script that looks like this:
>
> This scriot for tvtv would be also nice to have. maybe i could then program
> a script for the tvgenial application.
> www.tvgenial.com which is a really nice prog imho. it give a good overview
> of the tv programms.

Search the mailing list for "epg2timers".
Also see the Tools/epg2timers vdr subdirectory.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index