[vdr] VDR Feature ideas

Hello,

first, I'd like to say "Thanks" @Klaus and all VDR contributors. My
Christmas VDR started working at the Dec 23rd. After some configuration
adjustments, i am happy and even my wife is using it!

Things working: LIRC, reiserfs, shutdown by Remote control, DVD, morning
wakeup (by BIOS).

Things not yet working:

  o Suspend mode (APM1.2 is not enough supported by 2.4.10)
    I had to set MinUserInactivity to 0. Any pointers to
    new apm versions appreciated (2.4.16?)
  o DVD navig patch (I tried once with "Sixth Sense" but
    caused crashes). I have hope here :-)
  o /usr/local/bin/cpuinfo from the FORMATS file (where
    to get this ?)

Ideas for new features (for discussion)

1) Rotating Recordings
======================

Reserve a limited set of recordings for repeating timers (e.g.
"Tagesthemen" or "Sandmännchen"). For example, i want to have the 3
latest transmissions of Sandmännchen (for rainy days) and the last two
Tagesthemen. The Rotating Recording feature would throw away (in FIFO
manner) old recordings and keep only the specified number and the latest
recordings.

2) Backup/Restore of VDR Filesets
=================================
In previous postings it was described that there is a considerable
amount of work to be spent for making SVCDs out of VDR recordings (using
several tools and Windoze TMPGENC). Even after the time spent, quality
will not be equal to original recording and exchanging of SVCDs in the
middle of a movie is still required.

Given the price of a CD-R, would it not be better to directly save VDR
files to CD-R, and Restore the files to disk before playing it back
using VDR ? Quality is top, no need to change CDs in the middle, no
rebooting Windoze and no fiddling with out-of-sync problems. You'll need
more CDs though - e.g. 4CDs for "Face Off".

The Restore feature should be possible using VDR commands and e.g. afio.
If you like the idea, i can spend some time on it.

 - Thomas
--
Thomas Mohr - Th.Mohr@gmx.net

Home | Main Index | Thread Index