[vdr] Re: why doesnt vdr name an instant recording with the information from the epg data?

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:25:19PM +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Ansgar Jonietz wrote:

> > BTW: What's about Showview-Support in VDR?
> > Sometimes it is necessary to create a timer when no EPG info is
> > available, and Showview would simplify this procedure. You only have to
> > enter one number in which channel, date, time etc. is decoded.
>
> Frankly, I never understood why it would be simpler to enter an arbitrary
> number (which is - or at least was - only available in specific tv guides)
> instead of channel/date/time. With channel/date/time I can see exactly
> what will happen. With an arbitrary number I can only hope that this will
> be the correct data. There will definitely be no ShowView support in VDR

Hi Klaus,
 the advantage of showview is -> it is using the VPS-date/time to programm
the VDR. If the VPS and the programmed Showview data are the same - it will
record. Very simple to implement in the firmware of consumer vdr's.
Actually if you transform the showview-figure to bin/hex you get almost
the VPS data :-)
 Good VDR's will have a user feedback and transform the showview number to
the human readable Channel/date/time format.
 Unfortunately VPS is not broadcasted in the digital stream (sure?). But
videotext/teletext and the WSS (wide screen signaling) is broadcasted often.
In analog TV - both (and VPS) are sent in the first unvisible TV-lines.
I do not understand why they do not send the VPS too. This should be no
technical problem.

        Matthias

Home | Main Index | Thread Index