[vdr] Re: MP3 Patch and drop-outs

On 21 Dec 2001 Cornelius Hald <hald@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 21:00, Stefan Huelswitt wrote:
>>
>> Every OSD activity leads to audio/video distortions. AFAIK this
>> is a driver/hardware problem.
>
> Ok, but then it should only be a problem with the audio-outs of the
> DVB-Card.
> I have a soundcard in my VDR witch I use for DD-Out, is it possible to
> use the mp3-extension with the soundcard? If yes, what do I have to do
> to get it work. Maybe if I do it that way there will be no
> audio-distortions.

I'm pretty sure that there won't be drop-outs with soundcard
output. Certainly this can be done. You have to setup the audio
device and pipe the data to it (resampling should not be
necessary). This all has to be done from inside the MP3
playbuffer.

Of course I will accept a patch for this, but I cannot give much
help for this as my VDR machine lacks a soundcard.

> And BTW, there are are no audio-distrtions or drop-outs if I watch a
> recording and than scroll trought the OSD, so maybe it is possible to do
> this with mp3 too.

Well, you have VIDEO distortions with the OSD open. Additionaly PCM audio
has a higher data rate as the DVB audio. And finally the PCM
driver support isn't very good anyway.

--
Stefan Huelswitt
huels@iname.com  | http://home.pages.de/~nathan