[vdr] Re: OT: compact flash to ide adapter for embedded vdr

Dirk Wiebel wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> those who are not interested in a "vnr" (video network recorder) may excuse
> this OT message, please. I have a dream of a diskless VDR box that can be
> standalone, too. If connected to the network --> VDR,  otherwise "just" a
> digital receiver. Therefore, I was looking out for a compact flash to ide
> adapter in order to use the (cheap and changeable) compact flash card as a
> "boot and root" device. There is a nice article about linux on CF available
> on the web:
>
> http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/magazine/issue03/4551/?sid=630b176880116a3d
> b879725cacb610b1
>
> There are lots of those adapters, but the prices are... well, let me say
> heterogeneous. Now I have found http://www.pcengines.com/ , they sell the
> cheapest version for 12 $, a more expensive one for 20 $. Just before I
> order: Does anyone know any Distributor of similar things in Germany, who
> sells those things at similar prices? Or - if not - does anyone else need
> such a converter?
>
> Regards,
> Dirk

See my last message. I have such a adapter with a 128MB flash card
inside my vdr box. It's totaly oversized. For my system 32 MB schould be
enough.

But some cf-cards have a big disadvantage: they are blocking the
possibility of a second (real) ide-drive at the same cable.
So you may lose one device.

Alfred

Home | Main Index | Thread Index