[vdr] Re: Talking SVDRP over the net

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:09:50 +0100 (MET), Juergen Schmidt
<ju@ct.heise.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Emil Naepflein wrote:
>
> > I have a similar setup for secondary tv's. But what are you doing with
> > the remote signals from there?
> > I have installed a modulator from www.channelplus.com which is available
> > from www.mediacraft.de . This modulators allow to transfer the IR signal
> > on a back channel on the normal antenna cable. This is not cheap but
> > works great.
>
> This back channel sounds like something I want to have ;-)
>
> But how can I get the IR signals from the antenna cable into the vdr
> server?

The modulator extracts the IR signal from the antenna cable and delivers
it at a 3.5 mm connector. Together with the IR receiver you get a IR
emitter which can be placed so that all devices to be controlled can
receive the signal. You will still need a IR receiver for the VDR pc.

My installation is a bit more complicated because I have an IR
distribution network installed in my home cinema. I needed that because
my electrical screen moves down just 10 cm in front of the rack with all
A/V devices and therefor a direct control of the devices isn't possible.
So I have a central IR receiver placed in direct sight which is
connected to a IR amplifier and distribution block. To this I have
connected 4 twin IR emitters which are taped to the IR receivers of the
corresponding A/V devices and screen. There is also a second amplifier
connected which feeds the signal into projector, projector lift and
scaler placed at the ceiling at the back of the room. The IR emitter of
the modulator feeds its signal into this central IR receiver. The signal
is then feed into the IR receiver of the vdr pc. I looks complicated,
but is easy to build up and works without any problems for more than 2
years now.

The IR distribution hardware is available from http://www.smarthome.com

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index