[vdr] Re: Multiple DVB cards?

Hello,

>> 1) Timeshifting ( > 2 DVBs)
>
>  >= 2 DVBs :)

Yepp, you are right ;)

>> 2) Parallel recording (# of cards = # of recordings)
>
>Normally the primary card should be configured in a way that it is not
>used for recording. Otherwise you can do no viewing and timeshifting. I
>have the priority for recordings set to 90. So recording on the primary
>will start only when I have selected this or a higher priority
>explicitly. The priority for normal recordings defaults to 50 on my
>machine.

I thought, the priority for recordings is only useful for preventing vdr to
delete
recordings if the disks are full, or at least to delete first recordings
with the
lowest priority?

>> 3) You could do a multi-room setup with delivering tv/radio-signal to (#
of
>> cards) tv-sets
>> (with one common film-base)
>
>This would be only possible if you run separate VDRs for each card. But
>then you loose the benefit of concurrent recording and/or timeshifting.
>For true multi-room support I would use diskless clients with one DVB-s
>card using NFS over 100 MBit ethernet.

You could use vdradmin to achieve this (parallel rec., time-shifting). It's
a little
bit more work programming the timers, but can save you the money for dozens
of dvbs :)

best regards,
reiner

Emil