[vdr] Re: CI Support layer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Share" <a.share@t-online.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 11:20 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: CI Support layer

> > OK .. if it is still unclear if the cam function will made it to the
> > publich, it would be nice just to fix this one nasty bug ... we don't
> > really need the fancy cam menu thingie ... but we like to look encrypted
> > channels (channels we pay for of course) after a replay session ....
>
> And, (better) support for more than one CI in an PC could be very nice
>
> Greetings
>
> A.Share

Got an idea:

physically the CAM/CI is bound to one DVB-X. But what about making it a separate device logically by patching the driver/firmware?

The driver could use it for any DVB-card in the system - and maybe - if the CI has multitasking abilities, it could be used for
multiple DVBs at the same time!?!

Imagine you have one primary DVB-S with CAM, CI and Smartcard, a bunch of NOVAs and you could record encrypted channels with all
cards at the same time!

The necessary access to the CAM/CI by I˛C is there as the Multidec-SoftCI-plugins seems to work.

And it would save much money in a legal way. Instead 650,- Euro for any Smart-Card-able DVB-X you would only have 130,- Euro for a
NOVA ... multiply it with three and you have saved about 1560,- Euro for a four-channel-system!

Maybe the Convergence people can have a comment about the possibilities ...

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index