[vdr] comedian kills vdr (was: system freezes)

Hello List,

after spending the whole sunday and parts of monday night I found the
problem. It might interest some of you...

The filesystem of my video partition was causing all the trouble. I set up
a new and clean system, with nothing on it but vdr. Crash. I changed the
mainboard. Crash. I changed the power supply. Crash. After all of that, I
thought it must be some bug in SuSE - installed Slackware on a new disk
and removed the old one. Success!

But it was definitely not the fault of SuSE: When I re-inserted the old
disk and tried to start VDR with the old
video directory --> Crash. Hmmmm. /var/log/messages said something about
"umsdos problems" when mounting the partition... But it's definitely
reiserfs. OK, backing up step by step, file by file. Kernel panic when
accessing "Otto-Der Ausserfriesische" (Otto-the extra-frisian). Who the hell
recorded that file??? Well then, the partition is made clean with a new
ext3, and we know now...

... that VDR machines have a good taste -- I would also like to crash when
being forced to handle Otto movies...

Yours happily,
Dirk

Home | Main Index | Thread Index