[vdr] Re: AW: Re: vdradmin & apache

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 09:35:50AM +0100, Walter, Marcel wrote:

> BUT: Why must there be a webserver within vdradmin? There are so many
>         professional webservers (Apache).... Why developing an own webserver
>         only for serving a few sites ?
>         In my opinion it would be better only to provide some cgi-scripts
> which
>         can be deployed on a webserver (e.g Apache)... that would be
> satisfying....
>         ( whereas vdradmin crashes sometime, apache would never have done
> so! )

I think in the current state - vdradmin needs to be running all the time
(autotimer!) so a passive (not ever running) cgi script is not possible.
 Installing a full apache is overkill for a small system, but with "top" I
see that vdradmin needs 15MB of RAM! (why?) The apache only 3MB.
(this was yesterday, today it has 19MB - maybe a memory leak in perl?)
[This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i586-linux]

btw. vdr itself also "eats" the memory. With top I see that each process
needs 10M (RSS) -> 5 processes=50MB? Is this true?

        Matthias

Home | Main Index | Thread Index