[vdr] Re: VCD replay b/w, seems to be NTSC

No, not really.
NTSC has 525 lines and 59.94 half-pictures per second.
PAL  has 625 lines and 50 half-pictures per second.
And the color coding scheme is different.
The horizontal resolution is actually not defined. Beeing an analogue
standard this is not necessary as long as you don't exceed the bandwidth.
Ppl commonly use 480 (NTSC) and 576 (PAL) pixel per line.

Modern VCRs are capable of replaying NTSC but they produce PAL-60. I.e.
reencoding of the color information but leave everything else untouched.
Modern tv sets in can display this but you may get distortions on fast
moving pictures.

Cheers,
Christian.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index