[vdr] Re: DVBVideoLAN - FAQ

At 08:15 28.02.2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >added a FAQ regarding DVBVideoLAN to http://pulp.mine.nu/dvbvideolan
>Hi
>more questions for your faq:

Ok, I'll append... :-)

>Q your write DVBVL_DEST should set to 224.0.1.2, must i set my windows
>machine to this ip?

NO, this is a Multicast Address. All ips from 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255
are multicast addresses.
1.0.0.0 to 127.255.255.255 is class a
128.0.0.0 to 191.255.255.255 is class b
192.0.0.0 to 223.255.255.255 is class c
224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255.is class d, multicast
240.0.0.0 reserved

At the moment, you have to set the dest to 224.0.1.2 and port to 5004,
because that's the multicast group, the player want's to join.

Abstract:
In an ethernet network, you probably have one @home, every packet copied
onto the lan is received by each network adapter. they decide using the
given destip (well, they use the hardware address, but ip works in this
context), to accept or reject these packets. Normally, it only accepts
packets with the correct ip and forwards them upwards the tcp/udp-ip stack.
(i don't mention arp etc. here). All packets to 224.0.1.2 would be
rejected, that's why you don't see traffic on you windows client if the
player is not working.
If you start the player, it tries to join the multicast group at 224.0.1.2
port 5004. More or less, your windows client shows network traffic now and
dvbrtp/pl should start to work.

I know, that the above is not exactly correct, but i hope it helps a little.
@see Computer Networks by Andrew Tanenbaum.

>Q i have an router/switch witch asks for multicast network, what must i
>set? igpm-v1 igpm-v2 or none?

I can't help you there, sorry.
But you have to tell your router to route the rtp packets.
Similarly to the route command i mentioned in the faq.

>Q i use the ip 192.168.x.x and 192.168.x.y for my two boxes, is this right?

That should work.

Cu
Markus

>by Michael