[vdr] Re: Timer Problem

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 08:12:34AM +0100, Axel Gruber wrote:
> > Don't use "netdate"! ;-)
>
> > use "ntpdate"
> > "netdate" will set ANY time it receives.
> > "ntpdate" validates the time and moves the clock slowly
> > to the right clock. (if wanted and run as demon)
>
> I use netdate now since 1,5 Years without any problems.

netdate will most likely suffice in most situations, but I think the

1. open yourself up for malicious servers/people to send you a bogus time

2. allow your clock to be set to any value, menaing that your time can
jump from 10AM to 11PM in one step which causes some havoc in cron
services

Neither issue is a real problem, but they are something to be vary of.

You most probably won't suffer from issue #1. Nor issue #2 is you use
netdate all the time (that is, the time cannot be too far from the real
one).

Br, Lauri

Home | Main Index | Thread Index