[vdr] Re: protecting channels and recordings with password

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 03:44:36PM +0100, Edgar Raab wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to be able to switch the vdr into a "kids" mode where it only allows to
>
>     - tune predefined channels
>     - only displays "Whats on now" and "Whats on next" for predefined channels
>     - only displays epg data from the predefined channels
>     - and only displays/plays predefined recordings.
>
> What Im thinking of is a rating being added to each channel and a special menu command to switch vdr into "kids" mode. "Whats on now" and "Whats on next" would also skip channels.
>
> any ideas if this is a useful extension to vdr ?

Most of your ideas  can already be done by
closing vdr
exchanging the channels.conf file / change the video dir
restart of vdr

Should be possible to do this by a lircexec script and a special remote
control for only that purpose. Maybe the channels menu (2) must be
locked/removed in the source too. I do not think that a kids protection is
very useful, but I like the "teaching" effect of such a box. You kids will
early learn how to hack/crack a computer :-).

        Matthias

Home | Main Index | Thread Index