[vdr] Re: protecting channels and recordings with password

Am 24.03.2002 20:02:46, schrieb Carsten Koch <Carsten.Koch@icem.de>:

>> 'security'. It's not only to hide things but also to save them.
>
>If you just want to save a recording against accidental deletion,
>simply use chmod -w on the directory.  Of course, you must not
>run vdr as root for this to work.

There is more than recordings. There are timers and channel-setups, there are even the normal
setup-options. And a 'chmod' or even 'mv' are no solutions because they are not integrated.
Having all options and possibilities open to anyone is the same as logging in to your computer
always as root/Administrator and using no screensavers and passwords while you leave it.

>The rest of this subject has already been discussed here.

I have read those when they were sent originally, thanks. But they only care about kids and
education. There is more than that, and that's called privacy. Maybe you don't want that your
friends can see that you recorded that "Musikantenstadl"-Show last weekend. (There are even
voices out here who emphasize that they tuned in to "Wetten Dass" ONLY to verify the
distortions Klaus saw on ZDF...).
And I did not say that such a feature is too important for me. I only wrote that its common for set-
top-boxes and it would be a 'nice-to-have' and should be considered for after 1.0.0.

Greetings,   Marcus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index