[vdr] Re: [Mplayer-dvb] DTS Sound

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 04:24:38PM +0100, Wolfgang Fiesel wrote:

> But now a more fundamental question, is this DTS feature really such a great
> topic ?
> On most DVD collection there is no DTS sound available. The coding algorithm
> says that DTS compress only by a factor of three (six channel on 1 hour CD). DTS
> is a much simpler compression scheme as AC-3 or MP3. Therefore it need much more
> bits for the same audio quality compared with AC-3 algorithm (only a question of
> memory space).
> On the other side various "audio experts" argue that DTS sounds much better than
> AC-3 in case of music items (not movie sound).

So far the number one reason why I'm not looking into replacing my DVB
player with VDR is the fact that VDR does not support DTS. Ok, I probably
wouldn't give up my DVD player straight away even if VDR supported DTS
(AFAIK VDRs DVD support is somewhat incomplete) , but DTS support would be
a step to the right direction. Most of the earlier DTS-DVDs have only a
2.0 channel AC3 track on them.

just my two cents

> Wolfi

br, Lauri