[vdr] Re: How do you poweron your VDR Box via IR?

Emil.Naepflein@philosys.de(Emil Naepflein)  02.02.02 09:31

Once upon a time Emil Naepflein shaped the electrons to say...

>On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 00:55:48 +0100, nisele@t-online.de (Nikolaus Isele)
>wrote:

>> does anybody a idea, how to switch the VDR Box on via the Remote
>> Control? I have an Irdeo IR Module with LIRC running, but i don't

>Ok, I have just tested the following and it works:
>I had bought some Yello Power Safers to conserve power with other
>devices having high standby usage. I just connected one of this to one
>of my windows PCs and changed the bios setting for "state after power
>failure" to on. I booted windows and stopped it with "shutdown". When
>windows is down it powers off the machine. The control light of the

>The drawbacks are:
>- The PC is turned on by any IR signal received.
>- The PC cannot wakeup automagically from bios timer because it has no
>  power at all.

Don't switch the PC, switch a small plug-In 12V powersupply
(Preferable a good one, with enough iron (see ELV "Oeko")
or a switching one, don't use those 2EUR Taiwan crap!)
Wire the 12V to "Ring" in the right way and
set BIOS to "Wake on Ring" too.

The disadvantage is, that some flourecent lamps triggers the power
saver too. And i have heard that some refrigrator may trigger
the switch too.
But those problems are avoidable and depends on the quality
of the switch.

I forget to mention too implementations:

a) The power saver is switching the TV set etc. too, so
   it get's the minimal power to stay turned on.
   Turning the TV will reset the power saver too.
   (Most useful: Turn TV off using VDR+LIRC and an IR-LED)

b) The power saver is switching only the mini plugin power supply:
   The power saver will switch after some seconds back to off, because
   the supply will use very few power. (Else the saver can't be turned
   off any more too ;-)).
   But in the meanwhile the PC is already booting.
   Quality of the power supply transformer does not really matter
   in this constellation.
   (Disadvantage: Each use of the RC will cause the power saver
    switch again. Adantage: No extra power consumption.)

The advantage is that the PC can be still switched on by other causes
(like wake-on- Timer, LAN, USB etc.) too.

Sometime ago some asked to make an USB-IR Sensor.
That can be used to power on too! With a specific IR-Control.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index