[vdr] Re: DVD-Navigation

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [vdr] Re: DVD-Navigation (05-Feb-2002 11:20)
From:    aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de
To:      vdr@linuxtv.org

> apieper@gmx.net wrote:
> [...]
>
> >>I'm not sure what you mean by "uncomfortable". My goal is to make VDR
> >>act like a "normal" DVD player (with some extras).
> >>

> > Don't missunderstand me, to implement dvd-replay within vdr is a
> > great thing, i really appreciate your work.
> > But for example my simple standalone-dvdplayer resume a dvd where
> > i stop watching, has a time-progress display and a 'goto' function.
>

> ok, here is the real problem, i don't have a normal DVD player and i'm
>
> really terible at building user interfaces.
>
> i don't mind if people would provide a list of nice to have features or
> even better, i someone could implement the UI parts with me only
> providing the core functionality to make it work.

Unfortunately i am not a good programmer, for vdr i started with
linux, bash-scripting and c-programming. I have ideas of how to
implement things but i think i am not good enough yet to implement
them myself.

> > Nevertheless, if you could implement a 'resume-where-stopped' function
> > this would be a great advantage.
>
> i'm thinking about it.

Assumed that you can store the actual play-time in a file
like Klaus does it with his 'resume.vdr' file i have some
ideas for the 'resume-where-stopped' function:

You could store a file like 'resume.vdr' directly in the dvd-directory
(DVD/video_ts/resumefile).
 Advantage: simple to handle
 Disadvantage: If someone is using a real dvd-drive it don't work.

You could store a file like 'resume.vdr' in a directory
specially created for dvd-purposes.
 Advantage: You could handle more than one dvd. Works with real dvds.
            Maybe its possible to create a resume-file for every dvd.
            To find out wich dvd is actually accessed it would be a
            possibility to analyze the size of the video_ts.vob file
            (i think this file has different size on every dvd)
 Disadvantage: More work to implement.

...Andreas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index