[vdr] Re: VDR, DVD and DTS

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 05:31:30PM +0100, hari.seldon@web.de wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have got a AV-receiver now and connected it with my vdr-box via SPDIF (winfast 6x soundcard). So it is now possible to play DVD's with DD5.1.
>
> But I have still a few problems:
> - DTS is not working. I tried the ac3dec parameters -C, -P and -R but nothing worked.
> Was somebody able to get DTS output?

ac3dec embeds AC-3 frames into linear PCM frames by scanning the input
for special AC-3 sequences identifying those AC-3 frames.  This requires
that AC-3 frames are smaller than PCM frames (in fact the rest of
the PCM frames will be filled up with zeros).  The header of the
PCM frames contains the informations about the data therein (no
audio but digital data for hardware decoder) and the size of the
included AC-3 frame.

... in other words: without a scanner for DTS streams (which requires
open specifications from DTS) there is no legal way to do that.

      Werner

Home | Main Index | Thread Index