>   3     |  titel menu
>   7     |  subtitle menu
>   9     |  language selection menu
> RIGHT  |  fast forward
> LEFT   |  fast rewind
> YELLOW |  next chapter
> GREEN  |  prev. chapter
> DOWN   |  stop
>
> what i would like to know now is, wether people can live with that or if
> somebody has a better idea.

In navigation mode (menus etc.) I would recommend using the right,left,up,
down and ok-button, since I really have problems when navigating via the
number-buttons. As the fast forward/rewind buttons don't really make sense
in a menu, this wouldn't break the "standard"-vdr-interface.

> I also have at least three more functions that need to be placed
> somewhere. A direct (manual) audio track selection, a direct subtitle
> selection and (eventualy) a recording function.
> A record function should probaly be on MENU->RED. But what about the
> others? any ideas?

What I really like about the old dbox are it's options menus. I think this
could
be useful for dvd-replay too. So only one button for the option-menu and
within
the option menu, you can navigate with the arrow-buttons (and ok) and select
language and subtitles.

> OSD status feedback:
>
> the -nav8 patch contains a working progess bar, that shows the current
> title and chapter, and the current time within the current track. Is
> that enough or should any additional information be displayed and how?

I haven't tested your last patch, but is there an information about total
number
of chapters in this title?

best regards,
reiner