[vdr] Re: Question/Suggestion regarding vdr's collcted epg data

Christoph wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 12. Februar 2002 23:50 schrieben Sie:
> > Hello Walter,,
> >
> > * Walter, Marcel <Marcel.Walter@drkw.com> [12-02-02 14:54]:
> > > Has anyone thought about a database backend for EPG-data used by vdr ?
> > > (e.g. MySql)
> > > Would also be cool, eh ?
> >
> > I have running a mysql-connection and will write a script with a
> > webfrontend, but my time is very short to do this.
> > Maybe i will continue writting next week.
>
> Greate, i also thought of a database backend for VDR (included
> recordingsmenue too, with postgreSQL) but not the skills to manage this by
> myself right now. (I had a look on it but i'm no programmer, so i see no way
> out for me)
>
> Christoph

I'm not sure if using any database for the recordings would be a good idea.
The ultimate location for this information would still be the file system's
directory structure, so the same information would be stored in two different
places, and according to Murphy any information that is stored in more than
one single place will sooner of later become wrong in at least one of these
places.

Besides, as far as I understand this the idea behind this is to make the
Recordings menu come up faster - do you really believe that a database
would give you that information faster than the file system itself?
After all, any data the database has in its buffers would be wiped out
or swapped out during a recording just as well...

I believe the way to go here is to have an instance of the cRecordings class
in VDR that lives permanently and is updated whenever VDR itself makes a change
to the recordings. It could also scan the video directory in the background
from time to time in order to reflect any changes that have been made through
other means (like the user deleting or renaming a directory manually from
the shell).

Klaus