[vdr] Re: AC3 over DVB-s is possible - Part2

"Gernot A. Weber" wrote:

> (..)
> > Ok, at first in which replay mode do you notice the panic? At the end of DVD
> > replay or VDR recordings ?
>
> VDR recordings. I don't have a DVD-ROM on this machine yet.
>
> > How fast is you computer ?
>
> It's a PII-300

Hmm, maybe it's a principle problem on slow computers. As I mentioned before the DVB payload of VDR playbacks
is now nearly the same like DVD replay. Perhaps you will get same troubles with DVD replay without the patch
?
Are there any other DVD playback experience with the same PC performance class ?

> > Can you start VDR as a single application  (vdr -v /video0 ....) to see what
> > the operation system says after the panic (and also the log )
>
> Ok, I started vdr with:
> /usr/local/bin/vdr --terminal=/dev/tty8 -v /video0 -w 3
>
> And /var/log/messages says:
> Feb 19 13:17:51 dvb vdr[2351]: replay /video0/@Das_f#FCnfte_Element__/2002-02-17.21.44.99.99.rec
> Feb 19 13:17:51 dvb vdr[2351]: playing '/video0/@Das_f#FCnfte_Element__/2002-02-17.21.44.99.99.rec/001.vdr'
> Feb 19 13:17:52 dvb vdr[2362]: output thread started (pid=2362)
> Feb 19 13:17:52 dvb vdr[2363]: input thread started (pid=2363)
> Feb 19 13:17:53 dvb vdr[2363]: playing '/video0/@Das_f#FCnfte_Element__/2002-02-17.21.44.99.99.rec/002.vdr'
> Feb 19 13:18:01 dvb kernel: lirc_serial: AIEEEE: 0 1 3c724279 3c724265 cd7d5 18d3
> Feb 19 13:18:18 dvb kernel: buffer empty
> Feb 19 13:18:50 dvb kernel: buffer empty
> Feb 19 13:19:23 dvb kernel: lirc_serial: AIEEEE: 0 1 3c7242cb 3c724279 54847 ced04
> Feb 19 13:19:55 dvb vdr[2363]: input thread ended (pid=2363)

Hmm, the output thread is always running, should also delete all open cFrame entries.

> Hope that's the information you wanted...
>
> Btw. DD is not as loud as PCM sound. Any ideas how to change that?

This point is very interested. Because since last months I noticed that PRO-7 is delivered the complete !!
program with additional AC-3 stream (private stream1).
Thus my guess is that there is a DD encoder running all the time with the same bitrate (~ 448kbps, don't know
the exact value) reconfigured only by movies to six channels.
Yes, all other TV parts (advertising, series) are running with two channels at 448 kbps, what a waste of
channel capacity.
The final DD result is not more identical with a well known DVD (here AC-3 bitrate is only 384 kbps).
Additional Pro-7 modify the original six digital channels from mastertape by their own digital mixer to terrify
the viewer in case of advertisment (like in the analog world).
That's private TV.

Question now, what can we do in the AC-3 bitstream to modify the general amplification. ?
In principle there are a kind of global amplification factors what can be changed, but I'm not yet involved in
the deep area of AC-3 coding.

Wolfi

Home | Main Index | Thread Index