[vdr] Re: Volume level in vdr

info@upcd.de(Ulrich Petri)  18.02.02 21:14

Once upon a time Ulrich Petri shaped the electrons to say...

>Hi,
>Is youst got vdr working on my redhat 7.1, and so far it seems like a
>very nice prog. The only thing i noticed is the Streeo out on the dvb
>card being _*LOTS*_ quiter than in any of the windows softwares.

The DVB-driver sets the volume to the maximum possible, that's "255"
There is no way to reduce it (except patching the driver), so, if the
DVB is tuned to a working channel, the voice coils are trying to fly...
That's very annoying (for the neighbours...)

>This is kinda annoying, cause i have to crank up the volume of my tv that
>much, so it starts making all sorts of noises and when i switch back
>to "normal" tv it allmost blew up my ears.

You know that VDR allows Volume Control too?

If this is set to a low level, you may have the effect, that VDR
is so quiet.

The other cause may be that you are using the wrong outputs of your
sound card ("speaker") to connect to your amp.
IOW: The Windows Crap is MUUUUCH too loud!

You should use the "line out".

>So i would be gratefull for any hints you can give.

>I'm using:
>RedHat 7.1 with self compiled Kernel 2.4.17
>Vdr 0.99
>Siemens dvb driver 0.94

What does the command
grep CurrentVolume /video*/setup.conf

deliver?

Here it's:
CurrentVolume      = 215

If it is below 120 it will be too quiet.

Setup your Remote control for "Vol+" and "Vol-".
Use "line out", not "speaker" of the sound card.
Learn that windows is NOT the "reference".

Rainer

Home | Main Index | Thread Index