[vdr] Re: Video Disk Recorder version 1.0.0pre4

Dave Chapman wrote:

> Klaus,
>
> I think the problem can be solved by not using the VIDEO_STILLPICTURE ioctl
> call, but to display I-frames in the same way as the DVD patch does.
>
> Andreas Schultz and I discussed this on the list a few days ago (see thread
> "Picture viewer" from Wed Mar 13th).  I'm sorry, but I'm not in a position to
> test this myself at the moment.

Sending the frame data several times just to fill up the buffer(s) is a pretty
dirty workaround, anyway. Actually the hardware on the DVB card should be able
to display a single frame without showing it several times (maybe you have observed
that a frame that contains a scene with motion appears a little jerky while the
data is sent to the card several times). If the driver developers ever manage to
make the card display a single frame "ad hoc", I'd like to automatically benefit
from that - that's one reason why I would prefer to use a driver API interface
for displaying a single frame.

Also, it must be some tiny little detail that I'm simply overlooking, which keeps
the driver from displaying VDR still frames, while it displays frames from convergence
or other sources. I'd really like to find out what exactly that is...

Klaus